Knowledge Base

Find out how and why

Load more

How To File a CT600 for a Property Company

Corporation Tax
How To File a CT600 for a Property Company
Comments (4)

At Easy Digital Filing, we make CT600 filing simple for your property company with easy, cloud-based software - learn more.

Learn How to File your CT600 for your Property Company

When a company rents out a property, they may be liable to pay corporation tax. If you do and have an annual income of more than £5,200 per year, you won’t be able to use HMRC’s free software. Instead, you will have to use commercial software. Luckily, our filing software at Easy Digital Filing  makes it simple with a step-by-step guide.

Start with the property income

Once you’re on the Easy Digital Filing platform, head to the Supplementary Section and click box 96 property income to "yes". You will notice that as well as an additional page for entering your property income, another income page also appears. This is where your property income will be reported on the CT600. As part of the CT600, HMRC requires a set of computations. When you fill in the property forms, the information you provide will be tagged in iXBRL to create these computations.

CT600 Property Income

Next, open up the property income page. The first few boxes are about income and expenditure. Enter your figures into boxes 1 and 2, and your net profit/loss will be calculated.

Corporation Tax Property Income

Add Any Capital Allowances

If you have any capital allowances you need to report, click on the calculator button next to box 4.

CT600 Property capital allowances

This will launch the capital allowances page. Please see our article on capital allowances if you require any further information about filling in this section.
If you have any other expense not included in box 2, such as wear and tear or have replacement domestic items for your property business, please enter them into box 5 and 6.

Ct600 Property Expenses

Check your Disallowable Expenses

If you have any disallowable  expenses such as depreciation or entertainment, enter them into boxes 7 & 8.

Corporation Tax Property disallowable expenses

As you enter your data into the different sections you will see your net income from property is calculated at the top of the page.

Ct600 Property Income Calculation

If however, you have made a loss, the loss will be shown in the losses section.

CT600 Property Losses

Calculate any Property Losses

If you have property losses, either from the current accounting period or from a previous accounting period, they can be use to offset profits thus reducing your corporation tax liability. Please note that unlike certain other losses you can not carry property losses back to an earlier period.

Property losses in current period

If you have incurred property losses in your current period and have other income that is liable for corporation tax, you can use the loss to off-set the Corporation Tax on the other income.
Enter the amount of loss you wish to use in box 11.

using Property Losses in your current period for a CT600

The losses used cannot be greater than your total other income.
If you have not used all your losses against your other income, then you will see the remainder in the carried forward box 12.

Property Losses brought forward from previous periods

If you have made a property loss in a previous year, you can use it against profits as long as the company is still carrying on its property business which can affect tax on property income. To use the losses from a previous period, enter the losses carried forward into box 9 and then enter the amount of loss you wish to use into box 11.

carry forward Ct600 Property Losses to use in current period

If you have made a property profit in the year you are reporting on, these losses will be used to reduce your property income. If you have other income they will be used against your other income.

Once you have completed all the applicable sections, you will be able to review your entries by opening up your computations and CT600 by saving and closing down your input screen and going to the review icon.

review your CT600 before HMRC submission
Once you have also completed your company accounts, you will be able to submit your CT600 and accounts to HMRC.

This article is information only and has been prepared for general guidance on matters of interest only, and does not constitute legal, accounting, tax, investment or other professional advice or services. You should not act upon the information contained in this article without obtaining specific professional or legal advice. No representation or warranty (express or implied) is given as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this article, and, to the extent permitted by law, Comdal Limited, its members, employees and agents do not accept or assume any liability, responsibility or duty of care for any consequences of you or anyone else acting, or refraining to act, in reliance on the information contained in this publication or for any decision based on it.

Comment on this article

Post Comment